The Australian Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417) is perfect if you want an extended holiday in Australia with the financial freedom of being able to pay your way while you travel this vast continent. If you are aged between 18 and 30, and looking for the holiday of a lifetime, the Australian Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417) may be just the ticket.

Unlike the Australian Tourist Visa which grants you a great holiday but restricts your work rights to voluntary work only, the Working  Holiday Visa (Subclass 417)  enables you to travel Australia for up to 12 months, live in any location and work for an employer for up to six months before you have to move on to a different employer.

It is often the visa of choice for backpackers enjoying a sabbatical from work or studies back home and if you decide you want to holiday for longer you can apply to extend your stay.

Alternatively, if you are considering a permanent move to Australia then a working holiday visa is a fantastic way to see much of what Australia has to offer and get a feel for the different regions before you make the permanent move.

Remember Australia is very big;  for a few quick comparisons, you could fit England into Australia about 59 times, Switzerland 186 times, France 13 times, Italy 25 times, South Africa 6 times and South Korea 76 times;  and so it is to be expected that climate and culture vary dramatically from one end to the other.

Imagine your dismay if you applied for permanent residency among the snow capped mountains of Tasmania when you’re preference is in fact for sun, sand and tropical palm trees!  So it pays to do your research first and the  Australian Working  Holiday Visa (Subclass 417) is a terrific option for that purpose.

One other important advantage of this visa is that if you fall in love with Australia on your working holiday and decide you want to stay and migrate as soon as possible, you may be eligible to apply for an onshore  temporary Skilled – Regional Sponsored (Provisional) visa (Subclass 487). You can only apply for this visa once you have been on your working holiday for a minimum of 6 months.

I’ll be writing more on the 487 visa next, but just briefly, the Subclass 487 visa is issued for 3 years.  After you have lived in the regional area for 2 years  and worked there for at least 1 year, you can apply for a permanent Skilled Regional (Residence) visa (Subclass 887).

So to sum it up, the Australian Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417) is a perfect way to experience what Australia has to offer over a 12 month holiday you can cherish forever. Once here, if you love it and decide you want to call Australia home, this visa can also be used as a pathway to permanent residency if you meet the criteria. Which means you may never have to leave and your Australian ‘holiday’ may never have to end.

So let’s get down to the fine print…

About the Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417)

  • You can enter Australia within 12 months of this visa being granted.
  • This Visa enables you to travel and work in Australia for up to 12 months.
  • You can work in Australia for up to six months with each employer.
  • You can study in Australia for up to four months.
  • You can leave and re-enter Australia as many times as you like during the 12 months.
This visa allows you to supplement the cost of your holiday through short-term employment. However, if your primary reason for travelling to Australia is to participate in the work force, you should consider a visa designed for that purpose.
  • You must be between 18  - 30 years of age (inclusive)  at the time of applying.
  • You must not have any dependant children travelling with you at any time during the 12 months.
  • You must be outside of Australia when you apply and when the visa is granted (unless applying for a second Working Holiday Visa).
  • You must not have previously entered Australia on a Work and Holiday Subclass 462 visa.
  • You must meet the health requirements which means you will be required to take a medical examination before the visa can be approved.
  • You must meet the character requirements which means you will need a police clearance from your country.
  • You must meet the financial requirements to support yourself for the initial stage of your trip. Usually AUD5000 in the bank and either a return air fare or funds to purchase one is sufficient.
  • You must be from one of the following countries with reciprocal working holiday agreements:
    • Belgium
    • Canada
    • Cyprus, Republic of
    • Denmark
    • Estonia
    • Finland
    • France
    • Germany
    • HKSAR*
    • Ireland, Republic of
    • Italy
    • Japan
    • Korea, Republic of
    • Malta
    • Netherlands
    • Norway
    • Sweden
    • Taiwan
    • United Kingdom
*Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China (includes British National Overseas passport holders).
You must apply using a passport from an eligible country. If you lodge an application using an identity card, your application cannot be accepted, and you will need to lodge another application using your passport.
  • Application Fee to the Department of Immigration (DIAC)     $270 (AUD)
Other costs may include:
  • Medical examination
  • Insurancea
  • IELTS exam
  • Skills or Trade recognition assessment
  • Migration Agent Fees
If you would like our assistance you can refer to our  Fees Page for this visa.
or feel free to  Contact Us.


Tagged with:

Filed under: Australian VisasFeature VisaHoliday in AustraliaNews

Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!