The Australian Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417) is perfect if you want an extended holiday in Australia with the financial freedom of being able to pay your way while you travel this vast continent. If you are aged between 18 and 30, and looking for the holiday of a lifetime, the Australian Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417) may be just the ticket.
Unlike the Australian Tourist Visa which grants you a great holiday but restricts your work rights to voluntary work only, the Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417) enables you to travel Australia for up to 12 months, live in any location and work for an employer for up to six months before you have to move on to a different employer.
It is often the visa of choice for backpackers enjoying a sabbatical from work or studies back home and if you decide you want to holiday for longer you can apply to extend your stay.
Alternatively, if you are considering a permanent move to Australia then a working holiday visa is a fantastic way to see much of what Australia has to offer and get a feel for the different regions before you make the permanent move.
Remember Australia is very big; for a few quick comparisons, you could fit England into Australia about 59 times, Switzerland 186 times, France 13 times, Italy 25 times, South Africa 6 times and South Korea 76 times; and so it is to be expected that climate and culture vary dramatically from one end to the other.
Imagine your dismay if you applied for permanent residency among the snow capped mountains of Tasmania when you’re preference is in fact for sun, sand and tropical palm trees! So it pays to do your research first and the Australian Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417) is a terrific option for that purpose.
So to sum it up, the Australian Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417) is a perfect way to experience what Australia has to offer over a 12 month holiday you can cherish forever. Once here, if you love it and decide you want to call Australia home, this visa can also be used as a pathway to permanent residency if you meet the criteria. Which means you may never have to leave and your Australian ‘holiday’ may never have to end.
So let’s get down to the fine print…
About the Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417)
- You can enter Australia within 12 months of this visa being granted.
- This Visa enables you to travel and work in Australia for up to 12 months.
- You can work in Australia for up to six months with each employer.
- You can study in Australia for up to four months.
- You can leave and re-enter Australia as many times as you like during the 12 months.
- You can apply for a Second Working Holiday visa if you would like to extend your stay or return at a later date.
- You must be between 18 - 30 years of age (inclusive) at the time of applying.
- You must not have any dependant children travelling with you at any time during the 12 months.
- You must be outside of Australia when you apply and when the visa is granted (unless applying for a second Working Holiday Visa).
- You must not have previously entered Australia on a Work and Holiday Subclass 462 visa.
- You must meet the health requirements which means you will be required to take a medical examination before the visa can be approved.
- You must meet the character requirements which means you will need a police clearance from your country.
- You must meet the financial requirements to support yourself for the initial stage of your trip.
- You must be from one of the following countries with reciprocal working holiday agreements:
- Cyprus, Republic of
- Ireland, Republic of
- Korea, Republic of
- United Kingdom
If you would like our assistance with more information about this visa feel free to Contact Us
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!